Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

I've always loved Valentine's Day...even before I had a boyfriend. There was always something so sweet and innocent about giving and receiving the tiny cards with just the person's name scribbled on it. They didn't even need to write a personal note. And, candy attached was nice, too. Ahhh, the innocence of youth. Everything seemed much simpler then.

As an adult, I find myself still desiring that sweetness and, okay - honestly, I have the attitude of show me the love. I want it to be about me. But, that's not what true love is. Love is putting others before yourself. In true love, there should be joy in the giving as well as the receiving. And, I'm talking about more than little cards here - or candy!

1 John 4:19 says: We love because He first loved us. (From the paraphrase in my Bible: God's love is the source of all human love, and it spreads like fire. In loving his children, God kindles a flame in their hearts. In turn, they love others, who are warmed by God's love through them.) And, what love! To save us from our sins through Christ! It doesn't get any better than that.

I pray everyone has a blessed day today and that the message of true love will be an everyday realization for all of us!

1 comment:

Nanette R. said...

This is soooo fun! It's funny how we February babies love Valentine's Day! I hope you have a nice time with your sweetie and your offspring. I'm glad we're blogging together and will enjoy reading your posts. You have interesting things to say, my friend! Thanks for the scripture you included. The thoughts I had originally running through my head included some verses as well, but when I got time to post those thoughts, I forgot! See, I'm not perfect (in case anyone was wondering!). :-) Love ya!