Friday, March 28, 2008

Get Out of the 'Burbs

I went for a walk at Radnor Lake today. My body said,"No, wait...let's talk about this." But, my spirit said,"Go!" I'm so glad I listened. Just driving into the park, to me, is like entering another world - a world of quiet beauty that surrounds you. As I drove along the road I saw this enormous owl fly right over my car. I was thrilled. I can't remember the last time I saw an owl. Sad, huh?

So, I take the Lake Trail that winds up, up, up and then gradually descends. Everything is so peaceful and beautiful - red bud and dogwood trees just popping out. But, there's still enough bareness to really see the beauty coming through. Ahhh....

Then, breaking the tranquility is this loud, "Who-hoo-hoo-hoo" (you get the idea). My friend, Mr. Owl, who greeted me upon entering the park was very close by. I felt like he was saying,"Welcome to my world. Let my eerie call replace the monotonous noise of your world, and why don't you relax a little?" So, as I continued on my way Mr. Owl flew right in front of my path to the other side of the lake, who-hooing as he reached the other side. Then, to my further delight, a red-headed woodpecker was perched on the side of a tree pecking away, oblivious to my approach. So, I stood and just watched him for the longest time - amazed. They are really beautiful birds.

My walk ended as I came out by the lake, peeking through the gray twigs and the redbuds and dogwood. I am so amazed at God's incredible creation. And, to think, it's all around us. Of course, Radnor, with its quiet peacefulness, forces you to focus solely on that amazing beauty and delight in it.

I'm definitely getting out of the 'burbs more often!

3 comments:

florence said...

Oooooh...I want to go with you next time- call me! That sounds so wonderful and peaceful. I'm glad you got to go and that it refreshed your soul.

Kristi said...

This sounds so nice... I remember getting thrown out of Radnor years ago with J. for watching two gigantic owls after night fell. Apparently the park closes at dusk, but that is the best time to spot owls! $!#$...I'm getting over it...

Nanette R. said...

Ahem, excuse me, but . . . when are you going to post again? :-) Would you like a friendly deadline? Maybe you could post by the time I get back from FL on Tuesday? Then I'll post about my trip, how bout that? Hope you have a good weekend, friend! :-)